Last week, BBC Radio 1 broadcast Finnish producer Yotto’s first ever Essential Mix. If you know anything about Yotto’s catalog as well as if you follow his curated playlists on Spotify and other social streams, then you know he’s got the heartfelt, somber, staring at your toes as you dance thing nailed down pat.
If that sounds like something you’d be into, then head straight for the mix posted today on Mixcloud and strap yourself in. If you know Yotto, you’ve no doubt made the journey through the mix already. If not, then take the above advice as well. Somehow, he finds a way to make the listener feel lonely and isolated, warm and at home, sweet and salty, all in a fairly short amount of time. I love a producer who is unafraid to deviate well outside of the norm in terms of dance music, which in Yotto’s case means a mix bookended with Beach Boys and includes Sufjan Stevens, of all people.
Buried somewhere towards the end of the first hour is an unreleased track (among many unreleased remixes) titled ‘Chemicals,’ which will comprise half of the songs on Yotto’s upcoming EP, ‘Chemicals / Second Life,’ out March 2nd on Joris Voorn’s esteemed Green label. I’m a little surprised that he chose not to release it on Anjunadeep, but as far as alternatives go, Green is solid.
I have a feeling we’ll be seeing additional news coming from Camp Yotto in the coming months. I’m looking forward to seeing expanded tour dates throughout 2018. Take a look below the mix for the playlist and for Yotto’s socials.
Yotto Essential Mix Tracklist
01. The Beach Boys – Mount Vernon and Fairway Pt. 1 (A Fairy Tale) (Reprise Records)
02. Benjamin Wallfish, Hans Zimmer – Joi (Alcon Sleeping Giant)
03. Death In Vegas – Savage Love (Portobello)
04. Christian Löffler – Mare (Max Cooper Remix) (Ki Records)
05. Portable Sunsets – Straylight (Dave DK Remix) (Atomnation)
06. Fideles – The Tensior (Original Mix) (Afterlife Records)
07. Evigt Mörker – Slukande Hav (Original Mix) (Northern Electronics)
08. SIS feat. Benjamin Frnkln – The Get Down (Original Mix) (Mobilee)
09. SØNIN – All Of My Teenage Crimes (Yotto Rework) (Youth Control)
10. Radio Slave – Vision (Original Mix) (Rekids)
11. Pryda – Agag (Original Mix) (Virgin Records)
12. Ben Böhmer – After Earth (Original Mix) (Anjunadeep)
13. Fort Romeau – Emu III (Birdy Bonus Beat) (Running Back)
14. Yotto – Chemicals (Original Mix) (Green)
15. Mulder – Elon (Original Mix) (Rejected)
16. Mulder – Elon (Edwin Oosterwal Dub) (Rejected)
17. Luuk Van Dijk – Unknown (Original Mix) (Circus Recordings)
18. Tom Demac – Bush Break Fiasco (Original Mix) (Flumo Records)
19. Architectural – Lipstick & Cigarettes (Original Mix) (Non Series)
20. Yotto – Your Mind (Original Mix) (Unreleased)
21. Squire – Lost Again feat. Vette (Olderic Remix) (Flying Circus Recordings)
22. Reich -Drumming (Patrice Bäumel Remix) (DECCA)
23. Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein – Escape (Lakeshore Records)
24. Yotto – Radiate (Original Mix) (Unreleased)
25. Black Mami – Tokyo Express (Original Mix) (Fine Human Records)
26. Pryda – Stay With Me (Pryda) LOOP TOOL
27. ANNA – Hidden Beauties (Original Mix) (Kompakt)
28. Andre Hommen – Abakus (Original Mix) (Vivrant)
29. Ulrich Schnauss – Wait For Me (Yotto Rework) (Unreleased)
30. The Future Sound Of London – Papua New Guinea (Yotto Rework) (Unreleased)
31. Kurt Baggaley – Remembering Infinity (Original Mix) (Something Happening Somewhere)
32. Sufjan Stevens – Drawn To The Blood (Sufjan Stevens Remix) (Asthmatic Kitty Records)
33. The Avalanches – Saturday Night Inside Out (Modular Recordings)
34. The Beach Boys – Mount Vernon and Fairway Pt. 2 (A Fairy Tale) (Reprise Records)
I work, live and play in Minneapolis.
I try to tell the story of the people that create music and experiences through pictures as well as through words.